English as a Second Language
Explore these free online learning activities for ESL students:
- ESL Corner provides free online language exercises on a variety of topics relevant to newcomers to Canada: Canadian citizenship and culture, daily life, employment and education.
- 5 Minute English has free online lessons under the categories of grammar, vocabulary, reading, pronunciation, listening and slang/idioms.
- www.LanguageGuide.org provides a picture dictionary with simple graphics. Place your cursor over an image or text to hear it pronounced aloud.
- English Accent Coach is an online tool for developing English pronunciation skills, focusing on vowels and consonants.
- English Online offers free online interactive activities that can be accessed through their website without registration.
- Randall’s ESL Cyber Listening Lab provides listening activities and quizzes on a range of topics for a range of abilities.
- Culips has free podcasts of conversational English that introduce slang, idioms and vocabulary.
These websites have useful information about Canadian citizenship.
- Discover Canada is the only official study guide for the citizenship test. Discover Canada: The Rights and Responsibilities of Citizenship is available from Citizenship and Immigration Canada at no cost.
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada has information on how to apply to become a Canadian, prepare for the citizenship test, and resume or give up your Canadian citizenship.
- CitizenshipCounts.ca is a website to help newcomers study for the citizenship test.
Assess your reading and listening ability in English or French.
A variety of free online tools and resources to help you in your job search.